16 October 2009

Why can't I keep myself out of there....

So here's a quick update on what's happened over the last 48 hours... (I'll get back to updating the last post in a bit, but I want to update you all on the recent events)

Yesterday I had a nurse come by the house to check up on me and the PICC line that I had. They have been coming by a couple times a week since it was placed to check up on me and change dressings so it was suppose to be a routine visit. While she was taking my vitals, I had a temperature of 102.8 and my resting heart rate was somewhere in the 130's. The nurse immediately called my surgeon to let him know and see what he wanted to do. I had been feeling just fine up until just a couple hours earlier, so this was all new to me. My doctor called me back and told me to get my butt back to the hospital, and that a bed was waiting for me. When I got there, they took an xray to see that the PICC was still in place and that there was nothing funky going on with my lungs. Once that came back, they took blood culutres and did a bunch of other tests to try and find an infection and also rule out the flu. While those were out, the resident surgeon came and saw me (luckly it was one that was in on my surgery, so he knew what was happening already). He saw some drainage out of the surgery incision and said he needed to open it up. So he pulled the staples out of that area and opened it up. There was a little bit of material that he removed and he opened it up a bit more just to make sure that he got it all. So they packed the wound with gause and taped me up for the night. Overnight my fever broke and my heart rate came down. All of the cultures and tests that they did came back negative, so they think that little bit of suspect material was the culprit. They were going to keep me through the weekend if I was uncomfortable with taking care of the open wound, but since taking care of that is no different than when I had to do it for my face last year, I told them that if I could, I would rather be at home if it was no different to them. They discharged me after teaching me again how to care for the wound.

So now I am home again... Hopefully this time I can stay away from the hospital for more than a couple days.
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers! I appreciate them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment