14 December 2009

You know...

So this is totally a test post for me. In finding more ways to keep this blog updated, I am trying to give myself the ability to post from my phone. Man, gotta love technology.

You know... I was thinking about something the other night, and it carried itself over into today. There is a new site out on the interwebs (www.uncoverostomy.com) that is dedicated to bringing more awareness to ostomies and trying to eliminate some of the negative stigmas that are associated with them. I think that the work that Jess Grossman, IDEAS, and the UOAA are doing is awesome. As most americans and people of the world today knows, sex sells. I believe that this site does a great job of showing that ostomies can be sexy and not something that detracts from the visual of the body and that someone can lead a "normal" life with one.

There is, however, something that I feel this site fails to do, and because of this, will fail at its ultimate goal.

The sites title is Uncover Ostomy, yet the only time that it is uncovered is in the studio during a photo shoot. Outside of that, this site does nothing to show real life with an ostomy uncovered. It shows that a person with an ostomy can lead a normal life, but saying you have tips on how to hide your ostomy isn't really living with it uncovered now, is it.

There is an old saying that I completely think is true. Out of sight, Out of Mind.

I think that the work that has been started by IDEAS, the UOAA, and Jess is a great start. But for this to really be successful, you have to take it a step further.

Now I am not one to criticize without suggestions, so I have a few that will help take this to the next step in awareness.

First, you have to show real people in real situations with their bag showing. A man playing some basketball with his buddies. He's on the "skins" team, and you can see that his ostomy isn't getting in the way of him playing some ball. (His shooting ability, well that's a whole other story) A teenage girl at the beach wearing a 2 piece swimsuit sunbathing with her friends gossiping about the boys at school. Several ostomates playing some beach volleyball. Ostomates working out in a crowded gym. Everyday situations where it is the norm for the abdomen to be exposed and ostomates participating without embarrassment or heckeling by the people around them. Show ostomates with their bags exposed in real world situations.

Second, organize more than a "World Ostomy Day." You want people to pay attention, you have to go big, with a big visual. Think of this, 1000 ostomates hanging out in the middle of summer with their bags exposed on Venice Beach. For something local to me, Flash Mob of Ostomates in Pioneer Square having a dance party. I'm not thinking "March on the Capitol Steps" as that could be shown as either positive or negative depending on who sees it. Think "What's something that we already like to do that we can get a ton of ostomates to join in on where we can show people that we are just as normal as they are." That's the stuff that will turn some heads and generate the positive talk that needs to occur.

I think if you can successfully do those 2 things, it would really get the awareness movement going.

But hey, I could be wrong. After all, I have only been a member of the broadcast media for 10 years. What could I possibly know. (Sorry I had to get that joke in cuz I'm weird like that)

Peace, Love, and joy to you all this Holiday Season!

-D
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention!

    As for your first suggestion- oh we have content showing off the ostomy that we're waiting to post ;)

    And your seccond suggestion- sounds like an awesome idea!

    Thank youuu

    Jess Grossman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Wonderful ideas!

    brenda Dumont

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess - Thank you for getting the ball really rolling on the awareness front! I think you guys could really take it to the next level, and I am more than willing to donate my time and talents to help if you would like it.

    Brenda - Thanks for taking the time to read! I'm so glad that people are actually taking the time to give it a look

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya, Curly, sorry I haven't checked in in awhile.

    Wow, you remind me so much of myself back in the spring of 1983 when I first got my ileostomy! It's making me think a bit about who I am and what percentage of my self-identity is related to my ostomy. Obviously when it first happened, everybody in my sphere knew every detail. As the years have passed, though, other than the person who sees me in my birthday suit, I think maybe one in twenty friends knows I wear an appliance these days. Then again, I am not sure I'd bother being friends with anybody to whom my physiological adjustments would be a problem. Continued recovery, friend, and keep up the inspirational work! :-)

    Best, Brin McLaughlin, aka Bindyree

    ReplyDelete
  5. Posting - You need to learn the lesson that I'm still struggling to learn. Every post doesn't need to be a missive. Just posting, even short things, helps drive traffic.

    As for the rest - Wow. That site is a really interesting idea. I think it's important, particularly for younger folks to know that getting an ostomy isn't the end of their attractiveness or sexuality.

    That said, I think you're spot on as well, and hope that and I'm glad to hear from Jess that they're going to try and incorporate more of your ideas as well.

    ReplyDelete