12 May 2009

Sitting Around The Radiologists

So a lot has decided to happen all in the last couple of months, and my ability to actually ride this year is in question. I know some people may be in the loop on what is happening... but for those that don't know, here's an update.
I started seeing a new GI a couple weeks back as I felt it was time to get a second set of eyes on my condition as nothing seemed to be improving despite our best efforts. So I started searching and found one that came highly recommended. From the start he impressed me, asking a lot of questions and taking a lot of notes on everything before making any sort of assumption or suggestion. He is also very direct with what he has to say and doesn't sugar coat the news, which I appreciate as I am like that myself.
Here's the news as it stands right now. He thinks that my colon has got to go. He thinks that some form of a ostomy will be required and that this all needs to happen within the next year. Although I am not happy to have heard that being that I am only 26, I am pleased that he would just tell it to me like it is. I have to say that I am scared at the prospect of major surgery at 26, but if it is what is going to get me to live 20+years from now then that is what I need to do.
So I am sitting around the radiologists office, having to do the Oh so fun Barium milkshake test and waiting for it all to move through my bowels. 6 hours is what it took today. Nothing I can do at that point except sit around and wait and wait and wait.......
Not very good news from what I saw, although I didn't get to see the full report that they are sending to my GI. Just from what I saw there are a couple of places where my intestine is narrower than it should be and a couple of places that look like fistulas going off into nowhere.
Now the waiting game begins. Until I hear from my GI, I was asked to put my training on hold. I am getting a full physical next week with a stress test and then after all of this I will see my GI again. Hopefully when I see him he will have answers for me.
Hopefully they tell me that I can ride this year. Untill then I will continue to do what I can to get myself in a position to ride.
Got questions? Email me djquixotic@gmail.com
Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment